Here is the etiquette necessary when you are in the library.
- Be quiet. This is wicked obvious but you'd be surprised how many people seem to forget that when you are in the library you must be silent. At my school each floor has its own standard of silence. On the first floor you can talk however you'd like whereas on the second floor although you can speak it is expected that it will be in a whisper.
- Keep your table clean. Although there are rules against eating in the library it is sometime ok to have a piece of fruit or some water when you are there for hours on end. However, you absolutely, positively must clean up after yourself.
- Put books back. If you remove a book from its place on the shelf be sure to put it back in its proper place. If you can't remember where it belongs or can't find its spot, turn it in at the front desk.
- Take care with what you borrow. Remember that these are not your books and that others will use them. Return them in the condition you checked them out in.
- Give back material the moment you're done. If you are looking at a newspaper or magazine in the library put it back right when you are finished with it so others don't have to wait too long.
I hope you find these tips helpful for when you are next in the library!
What are your pet peeves when you study in the library? Do you think I left anything out?